Gateway Selection Feature for Path of Exile on Consoles

"
Pobatti เขียน:
"
Cidna เขียน:
"
Pobatti เขียน:
This sounds a lot like us folks in the UK will be struggling with slow connection speeds to US-based servers for the first day or two post launch of the PS4 version, especially if we're forced to grab the game from the US PSN in order to play it sooner than waiting for our own PSN store to update.

Still, it's great news that it's getting sorted out, and pretty quickly too. So if we happen to get bad connection issues on the 26th, we at least know that we shouldn't continue to have those problems for long.

Not quite sure what you're talking about? The game already tries to assign the best server to you based on your location.

The Gateway Selection feature is basically this:

That suggests to me that the client by default tries to connect to whichever server it's pre-configured to use. If you downloaded the game from the US PSN, the game will automatically decide a US server is best for you... which might not necessarily be the case if you accessed the US PSN from (for example) the UK. To connect to the UK gateway, you'd probably need to be using the UK client.

Or at least that's how other games, like Tera, have handled this in the past on console. It's also a problem because it basically splits a game's community up, making it impossible for EU and US players to interact.

With the implementation of this feature we'll be able to manually choose, and switch between, all the gateways. That means UK players who downloaded the US client (because it's likely the US client will be available earlier, due to the store being updated earlier) will be able to select a UK gateway from there.

If the gateway was already selected on the fly based on connection speed and ping, there wouldn't be so much necessity for a feature like this beyond allowing players in different countries to mingle as one big community.

Again, not sure quite what you're talking about? I downloaded the game from NZ when it released but when I went overseas with my Xbox it still connected to the closest realm.

I'm pretty sure this is mainly for when servers are having trouble and redirecting people to the wrong realm, or for the less stable connections like Sao Paulo, they can choose where to redirect to.
"
Pobatti เขียน:

If the gateway was already selected on the fly based on connection speed and ping, there wouldn't be so much necessity for a feature like this beyond allowing players in different countries to mingle as one big community.

You may very well be on the right track, but who knows (apart from some of the folk at GGG)?

Seems to me that if the game did indeed do a connection check of sorts, it depends on how often the check is made as to whether this new feature is needed or not. For example, if the game checked every time that you opened an instance, a momentary drop in performance could send you to another gateway - not so unlikely if your current gateway is flaky or periodically at over optimal capacity. In that case, one might want to specific a particular gateway that on average, out performs.

I now comment in Forums with my Xbox account:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/xbox/view-profile/walkjohn55
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2460477

I dont know what's so hard to understand, the forum is full of those topics.

Its a basic feature for 2019 that you can choose where to connect. It was requested, they promised and they communicate now and they will deliver. I think its awesome even if it wont help me, it will help a lot of people who had trouble.
Sweet! I can't wait to see how it all works!
https://www.ForeverExiled.com/: Forever Exiled, A Path of Exile Podcast

Annnnnd

Wrecker of Days' One-Stop-Shop: Stress-Free Builds (& Filters): 1-Button, HC SSF, Item Freedom: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3467875
Could there be a gateway/server setup in chicago? Just a suggestion. The information currently travel at least 800-1000 miles to Washington D.C. I could try texas but I feel that's even farther away
Anything new?
"
RosivDamotil เขียน:
Anything new?
This went live yesterday on both PS4 and Xbox. You can find it in your 'Options' menu, which you can set on the login page.
"
unlucky_child เขียน:
Ve need vietnam!!

You mean the whole Asian region.
"
Zer0frosT15 เขียน:
"
unlucky_child เขียน:
Ve need vietnam!!

You mean the whole Asian region.

Lots of brother from Asian are still facing the purchasing problem due to the inactivated store and region.
Any updates for Asian Region?
Seriously, if Asian Region would not be opened, please make an announcement for all Asian Players.
All the stashes are full, point purchasing is in vain, cannot sell the items from stashes.

รายงานโพสต์

รายงานบัญชี:

ประเภทรายงาน

ข้อมูลเพิ่มเติม